After the idea generated significant interest in the Tracer Discord last month, @ben.lionsmane and I have been working with SourceCred to deliver a trial instance for the Tracer community. The default paramaters of SourceCred have been applied to create the Tracer leaderboard for Discord.
In the future, it is possible for Tracer’s SourceCred to also include activity from other platforms, such as Discourse or Github. SourceCred is a tool which allows communities to measure and reward value creation through contributions. The Tracer SourceCred instance measures contributions made since 14 February 2021, ensuring Tracer’s earliest contributors can be recognised and rewarded.
The motivation for using SourceCred is to reward individuals who make valuable contributions, for example, those which spark discussion and receive positive reactions. Lion’s Mane have tabled this initiative hoping that it will increase the attention, participation and bandwidth of all Tracer community members. Community members will need to opt-in to this program to be eligible for rewards. Any custom parameters for Tracer’s SourceCred instance, and associated rewards, will be finalised based on the comments and feedback collected at the bottom of this post, or on Discord.
As the trial instance currently stands, there are no rewards . Once consensus is achieved, Tracer DAO can pass a Proposal to commence distributing a fixed amount of TCR per week based on the Cred and Grain scores accumulated by users across Discord and, if desired, other platforms (for example, Discourse or Github).
SourceCred is already being used to enhance the governance of multiple other protocols, including:
- Index Coop;
- Balancer; and
Tracer DAO’s Service Providers (ie, at the time of writing, Lion’s Mane, Sigma Prime, RMIT BIH, DeFi Pulse) and their team members will not receive rewards via SourceCred for their contributions to the Tracer community.
To avoid this program being exploited through bots or through collusion between actors, SourceCred and the Tracer community will be monitoring the Cred distributed by the instance and will take action if malicious activity occurs.
Please indicate your preferences below:
- 1000 TCR
- 2500 TCR
- 5000 TCR
- 10,000 TCR
Tracer DAO can choose to allocate 5% of all TCR tokens distributed through SourceCred initiatives to SourceCred, in consideration for SourceCred providing the following services:
- Weekly reports on Cred scores, posted to Discourse, where community members can discuss questions and concerns with the SourceCred team;
- Building moderation tools as needed to protect against attacks and gaming;
- Updating UI and documentation based on questions and feedback;
- Creating and processing subjective surveys; and
- Producing reports for the Tracer community to analyse the results of using SourceCred.
Additionally, it would be great to hear what kinds of contributions are considered valuable by the Tracer community, such as:
- The relative weight given to posts, replies and reactions;
- The relative weight given to posts in certain channels, certain emojis, etc.; and
- What platforms should be included (currently only Discord) - Discourse and GitHub are available.
Add your thoughts below, or on Discord.
The program will only begin following a successful proposal, this post hopes to generate discussion to gauge the sentiment of the community.
Find out more information on the SourceCred algorithm:
- SourceCred: A Social Algorithm (video, 25min) 11 – high level primer on SourceCred
- SourceCred: An Introduction to Calculating Cred and Grain | Protocol Labs Research
- DAOs and the Missing Link: Reputation Protocols 3 – article explaining how SourceCred aims to address trust issues in DAOs.
- Maker SourceCred Trial - Governance - The Maker Forum
- Offical SourceCred Docs.